Francis K. Horton - CEO of Community Assistance Center
Monday, September 19th the Rotary Club of Sandy Springs had the pleasure of hearing Francis Horton speak about the valuable service the Community Assistance Center(CAC) provides for Sandy Springs.
CAC provides basic needs assistance to prevent homelessness and hunger while promoting self-sufficiency and empowering their clients to thrive.
- Basic needs assistance - help thru crisis over the hump
- Promote self-sufficiency - move families toward financial stability
- Empowering to thrive - help to stay beyond the crisis
Francis shared some startling facts about needs in our own community
- Approximately 20,000 people in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody live in poverty.
- Rent has increased - average for a 1BR is $1,550
- Cost of groceries has increased
- Cost of utilities has increased
- Fuel has increased
CAC offers many services to help those with basic assistance needs. They offers financial assistance with rent and utilities to those who demonstrate a need. They have a mini-market food pantries in three locations where clients can get food. They are able to sell clothing and other retail items for much lower prices at their upscale thrift store that is fueled by community donations. Clients' professional skills and education are improved on at their Adult Education and Career centers. Youth and seasonal programs are provided for the kids to help out while parents can get back on their feet.
CAC is always looking for Volunteers and Donations to help continue providing and improving their services to our community. Get involved by:
- Signing up for the CAC newsletter firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visiting their website online www.ourcac.org
- Provide resources: Funds or In-Kind: Coats for Kids - need 300 various sizes.
- Buy tickets to the Vintage Affair 2022 Oktoberfest at www.vintageaffair.org.
Thank you, Francis!
Posted by Zac Boswell
September 27, 2022 10:00am